OFF LUDLOW GALLERY (2021)
“DRAWING with PAINT” New Works by Rick Mallette
March 5 - April 10, 2021
Rick Mallette was born and raised in Saginaw, Michigan. He studied art at Western Michigan University (BFA 1990) and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (MFA 1994) before moving to Cincinnati in 2002.
Rick is a visual artist that uses traditional 2D media (painting and drawing) on walls, paper, canvas, photomurals, postcards and vinyl as well as digital media to create illustrations, GIF animations and virtual reality environments.
Mallette works quickly with no preconceptions, searching for surprises in the medium, formally and metaphorically, often referencing the human head and figure.
This exhibition is a glimpse into a creative arc in search of harmony between drawing and painting. In Rick’s older work one sees an obvious dichotomy where drawings and paintings look very different from one another. “Vinyl Drawing” is a good example of this simple and clean drawing style versus “Gummy Portrait of Someone Important” a typical complex and messy painting.
The acrylic markers used in “Vinyl Drawing” are crucial tools in moving the work toward a drawing/painting hybrid. They allow for faster choices, longer marks and an energy often missing in the earlier paintings. This hybrid is evident in “There’s Nothing to See Here” resulting in what could be thought of as a “visual concerto” where not unlike classical music’s concerto a solo instrument (drawing) accompanies an orchestra (painting).
01. The Soft Nettles of Watermelon Hill, 2020 Acrylic on wood 24x48 inches
02. Head Oasis in a Blue Desert, 2021 Acrylic on canvas 24x24 inches
03. Lost City of Juvenescence, 2021 Acrylic on wood 24x48 inches
04. Talking to Yourself About the Long Goodbye, 2020 Acrylic on wood 24x24 inches
05. Where’s Where? 2020 Acrylic on wood 36x36 inches
06. There’s Nothing to See Here, 2021 Acrylic on wood 24x48 inches
07. Yellow Spectacles at a Pizza Party, 2021 Acrylic on canvas 24x24 inches
08. Gummy Portrait of Someone Important, 2020 Acrylic on wood 29x36 inches
09. Vinyl Drawing, 2019 Acrylic on Vinyl 4x15 feet NFS
10. Navel-gazing at the Corn Maze, 2020 Acrylic on wood 24x24 inches
11. Wet Lettuce Mansplained, 2020 Acrylic on canvas 24x24 inches
12. Summer in a Crowded Forest, 2021 Acrylic on wood 24x48 inches
13. Dead to Seam, 2020 Acrylic on canvas 24x24 inches
14. Diamond Mind with Green Tongue, 2020 Acrylic on wood 24x24 inches